02-03-2021, 02:49 PM   #19
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
I've have/had both F80 and F87 and I'm a fan of the G80 design (just not the weight gain). Like heavyD mentioned, each have a different way of flaring. That said, it is a fact that the rear of the G20 gets wider under the shoulder line as it approaches the rear bumper of the car, similar to the F22/F32/F87/F82 etc. (basically that gradual swelling of the rear under the shoulder line as it approaches the rear bumper). The F30/F80 did not have this coupe-like swelling effect. So with the G80, adding an F80-like rear flare to the G20 body is almost like adding the F80 arch to the F22 to get to the width of the F87, if I'm explaining it right. From the side, it just looks a bit less cohesive than it did on the F80... it's not anything major; just an observation.

To me, I think this "gradual swelling effect", as I'm calling it, needs to start increasing within the rear door in an ideal world. But sine they used the G20 door (just as the F80 used the F30 door) the current transition from door to rear flare looks a bit off from the profile.
I like this analysis!

To me I prefer they use the same door as the std 3 series. I like the more "jarring" transition. I think it gives more of a hot rod look vs a bespoke look. I want the M3 to look like a 3 series that was souped up by M not a separate vehicle.
Appreciate 1
JTO245276.00