Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

Thanks all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPorter View Post
Photos don't do justice to just how ORANGE the MCL36 is in person. Were the others as stark of a difference between what you see with your eyes vs. what shows up on TV/photos?
The silver Vodafone McLaren's were so much shiner in person than what you see on TV. And the West silver McLaren's of Mika and Kimi just look so awesome in person since you can see all the little details that the TV often misses or cannot see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spansar View Post
Just to think, I had the opportunity to go work there for 1 week to see if I liked it. Sad to say after 2 days I decided to say it was not for me. I guess I was not that much into motor sport or cars then.. you really had to love the sport and I guess my younger self was a different person then. Remember after the cars came back from a race, we all went down to the workshop rooms to hear Ron Dennis give a speech on what happened, e.g Juan Pablo Montoya had a puncture and it was touch and go on finishing the last lap. Also the cars were back in the workshop and I remember they where in such a state, not cleaned and bits of tyre rubber all over the bodywork. Also during the live qualifying laps they piped announcements around the building speakers to let us know what was happening. I also recall you were not allowed to drink tea or coffee at your desks At break time everyone all gets up and walks to the canteen to have a cuppa.

Thanks for the photos and memories. I recall being given a one-on-one tour by the colleague that I was going to be replacing, and it has hardly changed.. Looks the same to me apart from some more cars..
It still makes me chuckle to hear that when Ron was in charge, there was a slight issue with one of the floor tiles in a corridor at the MTC. When he asked for the tile to be replaced, it was not an exact match to the rest of the tiles so he ordered the entire flooring to be replaced such was his eye for detail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcewaterPete View Post
What an experience! Many thanks for sharing so much of it with us. Oh the V10 Mercedes...the most amazing sound in Motorsport history. To be able to see all of those cars and trophies then hear the stories had to be awesome. I had no idea that the drivers had to turn over the trophy. Really let’s you understand who is in charge!

How does one get the opportunity to tour the facility?
Unfortunately, it is closed to the general public which is a great shame.
However if you own a McLaren, then I think you can tour the facility if you get in touch with your McLaren dealer (Aston Martin let you tour their factory if you own a Aston).

Otherwise it is by invitation only

The only other thing I can think of is to take a look at the McLaren F1 website for competitions to win a chance to tour the facility.

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 2