View Single Post
      10-13-2020, 08:13 PM   #24
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

I don't know.. for me leasing vs buying went like this when I first got into BMW]

financed a 328i - daily drove it for a couple years before I wanted to get into something sportier.. looked at a 135i, all said and done I had to take 2-3 grand additional out of pocket to combat being upside down.

bought the 135i, enjoyed it for a year before some assclown damaged the car parked outside while I was on vacation - ended up having to repaint the QP -- car then had some electrical issues in the bodyshop and it literally was never the same. I wanted to get rid of the car so bad I was willing to roll like 5k negative equity into a f30 335i lease, which was my first BMW lease.

On the 335i, 6 months out from having to return the car someone side swiped me - I had to fight insurance for OEM parts, found a good body shop and the car was never really 100% the same.. the fact I knew I could get rid of the car in six months and come out clean since it was repaired by a BMW body shop was sooo nice and comforting.

I gave back the 335i and got into my 18 m3 comp. I leased this car with the intention of keeping it, kept it low miles and now basically 2.5 years later I can make an informed decision on should I keep my low mileage f80 with no accident/damage or jump into the g80..

leasing just enables you to have no baggage, unless you want to switch cars within a year -- especially on a 80+k, not to mention one of the cool things about leasing is you can lease a 100k car but only have the payments you're responsible for the term of the lease be listed as the balance on your credit as opposed to the full amount - that's another good advantage over financing. Try to buy a 2nd house with 90k car loan - can be difficult. Not to mention to make it even somewhat affordable you're looking at a 6 year finance.. 6 years @ 1100+ payments, so much can happen in those six years and if you have to get rid of the car early, you're back looking at the depreciation figures, trading it in @ a loss, etc.
2015 335i (retired)
Appreciate 1