01-05-2021, 08:34 AM   #26
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick776 View Post
I'm going to chime in here because most people do not realize that BMW actually downgraded the Harman Kardon audio system in the G20 3 Series compared to the F30. Although upgrade price remains the same, you receive a noticeably inferior product. The amplifier wattage has decreased significantly. And the G8x M3/M4 will have that same audio system.

I owned an F30 with HK audio and was very pleased with it. I was also one of the first to get a G20, again with HK audio. The system is noticeably less competent both in loudness and bass. If you turn the volume up to reasonably loud levels, you can really hear it struggling. I still remember driving my G20 for the first time and trying out the audio -- I was really disappointed and didn’t understand why BMW would downgrade a well-performing product.

About three months after I got my G20, I received a survey call from BMW North America. I voiced my disappointment in the downgrade and told the representative I was baffled by their decision. My wife has a 2021 X5 with HK audio, and it has the same system wattage. You can really hear it struggle in the X5.

I mention all of this to say that I, too, am disappointed that BMW is not offering a higher-end audio setup in the M3/M4. The HK audio they are putting in it is not a worthy setup for this car if you care at all about quality audio.
I have noticed the downgrade also. I went to the HK web site and checked the other "luxury" brands they show and all had more power than the BMWs. Even Volvo.
Appreciate 0