Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicane_ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicane_ View Post
The article included a link to the Auto Motor und Sport interview dated from November. I think it answers many of your questions. Bottom line, BMW will be offering several different powertrain solutions and not following the same path of AMG or other competitors. I personally think BMW will stand out as the enthusiast's choice for the next decade in comparison to Audi or Mercedes. I also predict the CSL will be awesome.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...aendigen-m-an/

How long does an M3 generation last? 7-8MY's?

That would mean the G8x would finalize in 2028-2029? Thus his statement possibly holding true that the S58 we currently have, WILL last until the end of the decade.

The next generation will be definitely be a hybrid or EV. He didn't state it will have the 6cyl after 2030.
I don't know. My general point being that enthusiasts don't need to concede to EVs when companies like BMW still see value in offering ICEs in their performance cars for the foreseeable future. They know what their M customers truly desire and have worked hard to extend the life of their large combustion engines. We should commend BMW for taking the road less travelled rather than succumb to societal pressures.
Gas at $10-$15 a gallon or more and zero resale market will make people think twice. I don't think many will be choosing an ICE M3 in 2033 knowing there's no buyer for the vehicle when they want to get rid of it, and they can't keep it long term because the running costs are insane and gas stations are reduced. May not even be legal to drive long term in their area.
Agree they won't be choosing a 10 year old car as their daily driver in 2033. However, I do believe there will be a healthy number of enthusiasts who'll want a G80 as their weekend toy (and an autonomous driving Tesla as their commuter). $10-$15 gallon gas won't matter as much when these cars will only be used for entertainment purposes.
If buying a car for entertainment purpose it doesn't need to seat five people. I think those looking for weekend only ICE cars needing $15 gallon gas are going to be looking at true sports cars over a tuned up 3 series.
Fair point. I suppose I'm assuming there will still be a following for 'classic' sport saloons.
Appreciate 0