View Single Post
      01-15-2022, 05:28 PM   #41
translux
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Manual

I have the identical M3 and plan on picking up something from the GT boys this spring.
Really want a 997 GT2 RS but @ current market value, it's just not possible.
Haven't driven a 718 but have driven a 911R and GT3 and can imagine a 4.0 must also be a terrific choice -with a manual of course.

The manual in my M3 started off badly and got worse. It took some work but BMW finally agreed to replace it. I think seeing copper sparkles in the trans fluid helped.
I'm happy to report that while not perfect the new transmission is miles better than it was. I jumped on a car that was in stock and was delivered to me with roughly 90 miles. Who knows what happened during this time.
I'm hopeful that after some use it smoothes out a bit. And I'm confident given past experiences that a clutch stop, delay valve delete, ssk, and a weighted shift knob will further improve the feel.

One thing I should mention is the factory BMW tech that approved the replacement wants the transmission fluid changed at 1,200 miles.
I don't know if this is done for reference, preventative maintenance, or both.
I believe this was at one point in time part of the break-in service for BMW but can't recall for certain. In any case, I've done this in the past with my other manual cars to satisfy my own obsessive-compulsive disorder.

Enjoy the car and maybe I'll bump into at Bill Jacobs
Notable-Giulia QV, MK7 Golf R man,991 Turbo,CTS-V3, CTS-V2 man Speed INC. build, E60 M5 SMG, E46 M3 ZCP man, E39 M5, E39 540 man, Porsche Cayenne Turbo EVOMS build, EVO X AMS build, Blobeye STI, 83’ RX-7 built by Alan Jackson racing, Volvo 164e
Appreciate 1
IL Pete133.50