08-24-2020, 09:00 PM   #197
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
You said objective. The use of that term establishes that it's indisputable. So I'm asking again.......which products of late are objectively bad? Stop with the cryptic responses.
I can take a stab at it.

What I think BMW has done lately that is just bad, period:

1. GT cars, it started with the 5 GT (F07) that in opinion, wasn't too ugly but in general, looked like a compromise between an SUV and a wagon. I guess BMW couldn't make up their minds here so they blended the two. Didn't really win over many fans and glad to see they canned it after 2 generations. What they should have done was imported the F11 wagon. That car had some great proportions.

2. Diluting the brand with too many models and too many sub M models like M235i, M240i, M340i, M550i, X1, X2, X3, X4, X5, X6, X7, XXX, etc.

3. Giant sized grilles to attract Chinese market. Enough said about this

4. Releasing M variants over time to extend product life and bump sales. Usually this was done with an LCI but I think BMW figured they could milk it even more by doing LCI and then variants over time to keep numbers up. What they should just do is release them all at the same time so if you want a base M car and that suits your needs, great, if you want something a bit more aggressive, go with the Competition, or if you want a track machine then get a CS/CSL/GTS. I can see CSL and GTS could be later special editions, but BMW just played with us so much with the F8X gen that it seemed like they wanted to get you to buy the same car 2-3x.

5. Not releasing a true halo car like an i8M. With a chassis made of CF and design that looks so damn good, what was BMW thinking by not going another yard by putting in a slightly uprated 4 cylinder motor with more power? Shoot, they could have lied to us and said it was meant to pay homage to the S14 from the E30 M3 and people would have ate it up. But why let such an awesome exotic design go to waste with being just a souped up hybrid? It could have been BMW's first super car since the M1.

BMW just seems to me like a company that has such a proud past that they couldn't let it go but at the same needed to move forward but also didn't exactly know how to embrace the past with the present/future. Instead of transitioning gracefully into EVs and a new design language, they kinda fell flat. They took some unnecessary risks with their design language and also abandoned all the great R&D and CF tech they created for the i8 and i3. Hopefully they will find their way again but for now, I guess we'll have to just wait and see how the G8X is received. I'm still banking not good.
Appreciate 2