07-25-2020, 11:42 AM   #106
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by naywa01 View Post
I don't get why there are so many colours carried over from the 'regular' 4er palette with only a small selection of M specific choices? M cars are supposed to have a choice of unique colours not available on the standard range.

Having said that, I quite like the Isle of Man green with the caramel coloured leather.

Oh and one more thing, which I'll get flamed for; I'm really not getting why so many people are banging on about the X3M, but then again I don't like SUVs in general.

I'm sure the people that buy them (or X5/6M) like it very much, but why have a hulking great thing carrying extra weight with a high centre of gravity and then waste a good engine on it? What exactly is the point of it, is it 4-wheel drive or supposed extra room? Sorry, but get a proper M car or not at all...
Because manufacturers have made so much money on their CUV/SUV cars over the years that they've put a tremendous amount of refinement into them. They're actually crazy good these days. And this comes from someone who always hated them, and generally preferred hatchbacks and wagons. Even sedans didn't do it for me. BMW was the first company that got me to drive one in fact. Still miss my e90...

But the first time I drove a Macan GTS, against my instincts, I was blown away. Bought one for my wife and she hates these things more than me. Even she was convinced. Same goes for the X3M. I didn't want to like it either, but after driving a friend's, I was again blown away. The whole higher center of gravity/more weight argument is true (you can't change physics), but holy crap, they've really done an amazing job minimizing those two factors, and for a lot of folks who need a little extra utility or vertical load space, it's a perfect trade-off. The X3M is now actually on the short list to replace my F80 next year, believe it or not. It's just that good. But if they hadn't ruined the front end, I'd probably still be looking at getting a G80

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0