01-11-2022, 08:21 PM   #2265
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Sick!!!!

I gotta get winters for next winter. It sucks not driving these cars during this weather. 11 degrees out now and i have to drive like grandma with these 4S tires lol

Next winter though i'll be ready
So far so fun! I'm running Alpin 5s and driven on limited amount of frozen precipitation so far (patchy ice; shallow powder; packed snow, both wet and dry). I have yet to drive through deep powder (which we often get) or wet ice (result of freezing rain, which we seldom get).

I switch off DSC any time I encounter accumulated snow, so tires can spin some to gain foothold on pavement. Otherwise it's DSC on and easy-does-it with steering and pedal inputs. Until it loses traction it behaves like a powerful RWD vehicle with wide tires (even if they're best-in-class winter treads). Treated with respect, it tracks straight and true.

On the other hand, goose it lightly from a standstill for a quarter-second with the steering wheel canted, and it'll easily pivot ~90°. This reliably gets the car pointed in the right direction on slick surfaces, when front tires have limited low-speed grip and just tend to understeer. Handy for pulling out of snow-covered junctions and parking lot aisles. I haven't attempted prolonged drifts or lurid slides; that's reserved for experimenting on a frozen lake or ice-racing course (which I'm unlikely to encounter any time soon).

But what I'm most curious to experience is handling deep snow. If it conquers the first/last half-mile from home, it'll be pretty invincible.
Appreciate 1