Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3 View Post
You do realize the B58 had this recall shortly after launch as well, correct? They had a manufacturing issue with the thrust bearing. It was a simple inspection and if there was damage, you replace the engine. If there was no damage you replaced the thrust bearing, which was very simple with the engine in the car.

Everyone losing their mind here is comical. There's no repair process or inspection available.

Relax ladies and gentlemen. These cars will be fine.
If this is a crankwalk issue, you can read about it, online. Thrust bearing failures, are the absolute biggest pain in the ass, ever. If you followed DSMs, back in the 1990s, you would have known that dealers were replacing thrust bearings on their 4G63 motors, and they would last a few thousand miles, and walk, again.

There were entire race shops that would absolutely not build one of these motors, even if you were replacing the crank, rods, and pistons, with something they sold, because they still walked.

And whats crazy is, they didnt start having the problem until the motors were older, usually more than 40K miles, but once the first one walked, people were having the motors rebuilt, under warranty, 2-3 times, because they just kept crankwaking.

They were literally rebuilding motors that hadnt crank walked, strengthening the bottom end with forged components, and putting the motor back in the car, and it would crankwalk, even after the stock motor had never done it. I hope this isnt a thrust bearing issue we are going to be chasing for years to come. I know, calm down, we dont know what the deal is, Im just sharing a story.
I owned a car with a 4G63, not for long because it's like an egg- if you stepped on it, it would break.

Although I have not looked at the parts information or recall the spec from taking a quick look at the training material, the B58 uses a single sided thrust bearing. If this is the same, AND that's the issue, it's actually quite simple. For the B58 BMW shipped a bearing and a special tool that simply went into the oil galley in the crank and pulled the bearing out. Roll the other one in just the same. Those had severe wear at least than 10 miles due to a manufacturing issue with the bearing, so most of those got engines. That was the same as the B38 in the Minis as well since the engine are modular and use the same components and effected cars with a manual transmission. The repair was not much more invasive than an oil pan gasket really, if it was caught early. Although that was a stop drive campaign, not a delivery stop. Obviously that campaign had a higher failure rate than this one does. It doesn't stop everyone from getting their panties in a bunch though. :
Appreciate 4