Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicane_ View Post
I personally have zero interest in EVs. They could be twice and fast and a quarter the pride and I'd still rather have a CSL.
I would have agreed with you until I rode as a passenger in, and then drove the Porsche Taycan GTS a friend of mine bought. We went out to pick up take-out dinner one night, and I actually felt like I was in the Starship Enterprise. Streetlights were literally flashing by like the speed of light, and what I was most impressed with, was how Porsche also created a seat-of-the-pants vibration experience as well as cockpit sound that was very realistic. Having personally owned a performance Porsche, I'm sure it also handles like it's on rails. That car was $160,000. I almost creamed in my pants. The '23 BMW M4 xDrive Competition that is supposed to be delivered for me to the dealer at the end of next week, also made me feel "satisfied" enough to pay for more, but I am financially realistic with cars. That car, all-in is under $100,000.

I have also driven in a friends Tesla Plaid. OK, super-fast as you would expect, but totally lacking what Porsche created with the physical and audible experience. It was very rough riding, and the seating and leg room was totally uncomfortable. The owner was actually apologizing for the lack of comfort to me and my wife while we were driving to dinner.

I guess I'm clueless, but what are you paying up for with the CSL over the M4 competition xDrive coupe, when other cars with similar prices, just tromp the CSL from a performance to financial standpoint?
I think realistically, cash in cash out, the regular M cars will see pretty decent deprecation once things normalize as they historically do. Xdrive cars will hold their value better than rear drive cars, the CSL and forthcoming xdrive CS will cost more and hold their value to MSRP and higher compared to the comp cars. So you aren't really spending more money in the long run from a depreciation standpoint.

As far as performance, the only better performance for the Xdrive comp vs the CSL is 0-60 times and stoplight racing. So if that's the metric that someone is judging cars by, then yes an xdrive M3C is a better value for money. I think most CSL buyers are more focused on track and backroads performance.
Appreciate 2
beden1511.00