View Single Post
      10-10-2021, 01:03 PM   #257
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Pretty obvious that the US hasn't posted the recall yet so I expect it early this week. My question is whether they will ask for owners to stop driving the cars as well. Sounds like it could be a safety issue which would open them up to liability if the motor goes while driving and causes an accident.

With that in mind, it will be pretty easy to just hand the keys back to BMW in California under the potential of a lemon law enforcement. Any car out of service for 30 days (in the first 18 months) gives the owner the option of a return for full refund including sales tax, interest, etc minus a deduction for mileage. A lot of states have a variation of this as well.

Once the VIN list is posted for the US it should make the decision process pretty easy for most owners. My gut is that BMW will make some decent offers to ensure that some people decide to keep their cars after the fix. Longer warranties, loaner cars, etc. As an example the 2014-15 GT3's are actually sought after because of the 10 year warranties that Porsche provided after the motor recall.

BTW just checked the production date on my '22 and it is 6/30/21 so I fall outside the affected dates

Last edited by Salespunk; 10-10-2021 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 0