10-10-2021, 11:59 AM   #255
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDave View Post
You know, you’re right (bet you didn’t see that coming )

I shouldn’t have said dumb because that’s insulting and not taking into account that different people do in fact have different risk tolerance. Sincerest apologies for that.

What I should have said is, I disagree. As has been pointed out, this issue seems to be affecting ‘22 models not ‘21, so it’s not the first model year and waiting for the second model year is in fact worse.

This is an S58 engine issue and the engine has been around for more than a few years and also isn’t new. Since it appears to be engine specific and looking at the affected vehicles it’s not even an issue specific to the G80.

My personal experience has not supported new model years to be a problem. I typically buy early in the lifecycle of a car because I don’t like old technology. This was the earliest I was able to by an M3 and I got it. Like I said in my previous reply in this thread, I got burned hard by a LCI, that by all accounts should have been relatively trouble free and not leave me looking like an idiot while stuck at a traffic light with a $75K car that wouldn’t start.

The Kia driver that stopped to ask if I needed help was quite nice and sympathetic.
I have had two engine issues with first model year BMWs, but in both cases, BMW stepped up and left me a happy customer. Here are my two antidotal stories.

I had a 2007 335i with the N54 engine. That engine was a lemon. Lots of it going into limp mode. BMW recognized that the engine had design flaws so extended the warranty for all N54 engines (might have been limited to the known issues, not sure). I kept that car outside of the normal warranty issue, and continued to have some engine issues. It was always repaired free of charge. I even had a Dinan tune on it, BMW never tried to blame the issues on the tune.

My 2015 F80 also had engine issues within the first year of ownership. Limp mode. It was misdiagnosed about 4 times. The dealership initially just kept replacing 2 of the fuel injectors until they figured out it was coolant leaking into the cylinders which kept causing them to fail. It was going to be a large undertaking to repair it. I was quite upset about having a less than 1-yr old car with an engine that had to be disassembled and rebuilt. Then, the dealership said BMW had authorized a new engine for my car. Never had a problem after that (knock on wood). I signed an NDA with BMW so I can't say exactly what else they did, but they also offered me something for the trouble I went through.

So, for those who are affected, I wouldn't worry so much about it right now. I'm sure BMW will stand behind their products.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 3