View Single Post
      05-08-2022, 07:53 AM   #58
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

I like screens in cars. I said it out loud at last. I don't know what it is, my inherent geekiness, a life spent in the world of technology, or something. I absolutely acknowledge that one of my favorite things about modern cars is being able to have a 256GB flash drive plugged in with 10,000 FLAC format songs available at all times...and screens are necessary to be able to scroll through that mass of music. I love how good the standard BMW nav system has gotten and I love it having directions in the HUD. The first car I bought had an AM radio stock and screens and all that stuff makes the car feel like the future we were promised, at least to a point.

I don't, however, like being required to POKE screens. I use the iDrive wheel and voice commands a lot more than I ever touch the screens. I use the HVAC controls A LOT. Wheel and voice integrate better with driving a car than poking screens does.

However. I may be a geek, but I was taught, way back in the dark ages of the 80's, that visibility and awareness are the most important thing when driving. You can't dodge a rogue Prius running a stop light if you don't see it or you aren't paying enough attention. I've never typed on a phone while the car was moving. If I have a coffee with me, I never sip it unless stopped. Etc... And in 35 years of driving, I've never hit anything.

We sat in the i4 and the iX at an auto show in January. From the driver's seat, the screen looks OK but all I could think about was "that's too much light and too many things being displayed to be that high up in my visual field while driving". The iX's screen, perhaps because it was so big, didn't seem as likely to be overwhelming as the i4.

When this screen is integrated into the dash as part of the original, initial design, it might be OK but I'm seriously thrilled that I got my car with it's two well-spaced, individual screens when I did instead of ending up with this setup.
Appreciate 5
Vinnrox2503041.00
chicagofan0019273.50
SaMaster144469.00
maelfyn156.50