View Single Post
      01-13-2021, 08:00 AM   #24
chicagoguy0822
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Convertible (G83)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwh2009 View Post
Many people have said this already - have to decide for yourself the opportunity cost of the money sunk into the car.

All the rest is just advice and worth about what you are paying for it. I'm older than most on this forum I think at 48, and I did a little of both in my life. Bought the fast car in my twenties. Loved it, but couldn't afford it. And the apartment angle was awful. A house/driveway/garage is so much easier, even if you don't put your car in the garage each night.

Then I sold the car. Smart move, but regretted it for 15 years. Finally in my forties got to buy a fun car again. And even at this late age with so-called financial security, you may still decide to sell it. I did and had to go back to sensible for a while AGAIN.

While it will never be a smart financial move to buy an expensive car, looking back I don't regret the purchases. Life is strange and you never know what it will throw at you later. I think saving for the future or investing is smart. To an extent.

But living for when you're old, like me doesn't fully make sense either. So try to do some of both.

My advice (worth as much/little as everyone else's): the G8x is a lot for someone who wants to, but still hasn't gotten the house purchase done yet. Buy a fast car, but maybe not THAT much car. Go with a 2017 F8x instead, and be 85% as fast on 40% of the cost.

And then buy your first house sooner rather than later. But don't overspend there either. You'll probably move in a few years anyway. Most young people move a few times before really settling down. So you'll have more chances at this house thing down the road.

Now that I really sound old, I think I'll stop there. Good luck!
Spot on.
Appreciate 1
mwh2009289.00