View Single Post
      02-11-2021, 02:21 PM   #42
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
A teacher friend and neighbor, has a combined grade one and two class. She once told me about an experience she had.

" I didn't know WTF was wrong with that kid until I met the parents".

Attachment 2526634
My mom was a teacher in the 70s before she changed careers. The antagonistic relationship between parents and teachers is nothing new. We tend to reflect on past generations with a biased lens.

In reality every generation has strengths and weaknesses. When I graduated high school in 1984 they called us a bunch of nihilist slackers which was kinda true. Raised during the height of the cold war most of us thought it was 50/50 we'd die in a nuclear war so we tended not to value long term plans much.

Now as a 55 year old I've got nothing but millennials on my team. I find they are a bit sensitive about their values, shock easily but they also value their work and tend not to "stall out" on projects when solutions aren't readily obvious. But I'm sure in 20 years they'll bitch about the generation behind them for some trait or trend.

FYI, I remember my grandmother telling me she used to get in trouble for reading too many books. My great grandfather would literally pull them out of her hands and tell her she needed to get her head out of those stories and concentrate on real tangible activities.
Appreciate 1