View Single Post
      08-12-2022, 11:25 AM   #18
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vespa

i've tried them all, and unfortunately, they all suck for data telemetry.

i have used:
  • RaceChronoPro
  • TrackAddict
  • Harry's Laptimer.

OBD-II:
  • Kiwi 3
  • OBDLink CX
  • OBDLink MX+

GPS:
  • XGPS160 (10hz)
  • Racebox Mini (25hz)

the OBDLink MX+ is definitely the fastest ODB-II interface, but still lacks in comparison to M Laptimer and only works with Harry's.

the Racebox Mini is also 2.5x faster, but 25hz gps really isn't necessary and again, only works with Harry's and i definitely ran into weird issues, as the support was just recently added. but the Racebox mini battery life is amazing and would last all day at track, which would be nice. XGPS160 i often have to give it a quick charge at lunch .

i record on a gopro and just use race render 3 to sync up. it works ok.

this is harry's laptimer + racebox mini + obdlink mx+, gopro + race render 3, unfortunately the g-force stuff is all jacked in this recording. something that worked perfectly in m laptimer every time. the steering and fuel consumption are also just dummy data, as i am playing with different custom gauges.

this was harry's laptimer+ obdlink cx + xgps160 + "telemetry overlay" software which turns out is not as good as race render for a bunch of issues.

also any of these apps without OBD-II with the XGPS160 is close to what the catalyst is. they definitely have more overall features, but lack the catalyst lap helper, and the catalyst seems really simple. just setup and go. easy to get the 1080p single cam videos out.

if you want multiple cameras or car data, then catalyst falls short.

EDIT: i just tried adding the OBDLink MX+ and Racebox mini to RaceChronoPro and it seemed to work. Haven't had a chance to actually try it out in the car yet tho.

Last edited by dirtyfreebooter; 08-12-2022 at 11:54 AM..
Appreciate 1
element561092.00