Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
How much was the deposit?
$1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
Was this in Miami? Wouldn’t be surprised if it was. Always go with referrals for things like this to help prevent getting shafted as SoFlo is full of crooks.
Boynton, but like I said in 10 years at this house never had an issue with a contractor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerylist View Post
I don't know the laws for Florida but I've sued someone in small claims court in Texas and it was pretty much pointless. I won and got a judgement, filed an abstract of judgement with the county, filed a writ of garnishment... it was all for nothing. Texas protects debtors, wage garnishment is illegal, you can't put a lien on a primary residence (only a secondary). It's a pain in the ass to try to track down property to collect against or to get a sheriff to collect on.
That's my thought also, but I hate to see the fuck face get away with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Per my comment about ensuring the contractor is licensed and bonded, from what I know at least for my state, you have remedies if things go south. Not only will the licensing board investigate any complaints but the bond part is there which the contractor has to pay money in to where the state can make distributions for any damages to customers.

While many times one shouldn't have any major issues with a contractor, the piece of mind paying for the higher rates for a licensed and bonded contractor vs one that is not is something I'm willing to pay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Once upon a time I had a contractor do a complete remodel on a house I had to flip, and boy it was a nightmare. Fly by night deal that always seemed cracked out or drunk. Left a check with a relative to pay the guy for that week's work after completion while I was out of town, but of course she gave the check early in the week. Guy jumped town with a pocket full of cash for work he didn't complete. Half built deck with the rear French doors missing a threshold and a time schedule to list the house in a week. Check was cashed before I knew it and POOF...dude was gone to never be heard from again.

While I can't be of any assistance to OP, I'd be interested to see what not to do in these situations. I am always ultra DIY (I enjoy it, and, well, I don't trust folks as can be seen here and above), but I just don't see building a privacy fence in the cards as a solo project. zx10guy mentions ensuring the contractor is licensed and bonded which is great advice. My only experience is Mr. Workforarock, and I just cannot go through that crap again. What other advice do the people have in selecting the right team? Google reviews? Bring your top three out to bid? What else?
The issue is the guy is maybe, kinda licensed. The license he has comes back to some other company which he claimed was the main company because him and his partner did handyman work so at the time didn't think much of it. I think the biggest mistake was giving this guy a deposit. Should of given him enough to get the permit then maybe once everything is vetted and project should start give more for materials or whatever dunno.

I actually looked and got quotes for a couple of companies. He actually seemed quite professional when he came out to quote. At the time he also had decent reviews. Hindsight being 20/20 he didn't have that many and they were probably fake.
Appreciate 0