View Single Post
      03-22-2023, 10:00 PM   #113
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 XDrive, 2023 IX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZheroG80 View Post
It is actually Bosch who is locking them, it is their internal bootloader programmed inside the DME. That is why BMW or any other manufacturer can not unlock them for you. ( we tried at my local BMW dealer because I know a bunch of them personally)

Safety reasons so no one can hack into the ECU to operate the self driving, cameras, all that fun stuff. It was meant to prevent a foreign country from sending out an OTA software to take over the systems. Ironic.
I heard that it was BMW who paid a huge substantial amount of money for the job of Bosch to lock the DME down tight and securely. There's a big market for aftermarket tunes on the BMW inline 6 turbo engines so BMW had to protect themselves from any warranty claims that may arise out of tuning. Other manufacturers like Porsche, Ferrari do the same but the job of locking them down is not that lucrative for the manufacturers to pay huge money on. So that's why they can be easily unlocked by aftermarket companies. I think it has changed recently with some of the newest models running the latest Bosch DMEs
Appreciate 0