10-12-2021, 05:57 PM   #13
StudioRSR
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: AW G82 RSR "TD4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattssi View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Does bump steer only occur at some limit of the factory tie rod ends? So, with these replacements, I could install them and do a standard alignment with no special consideration by the aligner (think big box stores) and that would put me in a good place in regards to eliminating the bump steer?

I wonder how many of the forum folks have noticed this behavior.
Bumpsteer occurs in almost any suspension setup, even factory, but the amount of it is negligible (near zero) from factory design on most occasions.

With the SPL tie rods, doing an alignment is the same. The correction from the SPL tie rods come from the ability to lower the connection point with the spacers and arm design seen here:

When you lower our cars, or any car for that matter, with lowering springs or any other suspension modification, that ~1in change creates a much bigger change in the angle of the rod from the center line and creates a different arc shape of the tie rod when it's moving up and down. The altered arc shape of the tie-rod creates unwanted steering angle (steer) during movement up and down (bump)
Here's the simplest illustration we could find:

www.studiorsr.com | email: info@studiorsr.com | call: 1-844-991-5582| Instagram: @studiorsr| StudioRSR G8x M3/M4 YouTube videos
For updates on your order, please email updates@studiorsr.com
Appreciate 2