09-26-2021, 09:44 PM   #103
MightyOF80
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 Sakhir Orange F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAKE! View Post
Definitely a change in design language from the more conservative, subtle E36 and E46, to the angrier/menacing generations afterwards.

I have to say, I got into BMWs during the later years of the E46 and fell in love with the concept of a stealthy coupe with details you have to do a 'double take' to recognize, with the subtle hint of the M colors on the badging. Something about it being only recognizable among those who knew, and for those who didn't, it was a fun way to show people the small details. Miss those days.

For better or for worse, the changes between a regular series and M car now are much greater. It's nice to show people what you have, but it's a shame that 'mystery' is gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAKE! View Post
Definitely a change in design language from the more conservative, subtle E36 and E46, to the angrier/menacing generations afterwards.

I have to say, I got into BMWs during the later years of the E46 and fell in love with the concept of a stealthy coupe with details you have to do a 'double take' to recognize, with the subtle hint of the M colors on the badging. Something about it being only recognizable among those who knew, and for those who didn't, it was a fun way to show people the small details. Miss those days.

For better or for worse, the changes between a regular series and M car now are much greater. It's nice to show people what you have, but it's a shame that 'mystery' is gone.
Agree and disagree. I think you make a good point and there's something special about the E30 through E46 being just "special" and being minimal or subtle in their M designs. However, I would still be willing to say that for those that really love the M3 for what it is and what's it has always been meant to be, every one of these cars could put a smile on your face.

Everyone has their fav's. My fav is the E46, but I own an F80. But, I think that BMW still designs these cars for the experience not for the 0-60 or the quarter.

Yes, I agree the new G80 is a bit radical for MY taste. But, that's just me. So who tf cares? There are E9x lovers that feel they have the best M and so on. Personally, if I could have a garage with all six gens I bet I'd be in a debacle trying to figure out which one I wanted to drive on day 7 of the week. Each has something to offer and a different experience, which BMW prides itself in providing. IMO they continue to do that.
Appreciate 1
BRAKE!833.50