CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
All companies do this when they need to implement something that could be deemed unfavorable whether to their clients or employees. Rather than say "we are changing xyz" they set the table so that the change seems to happen either naturally or due to another reason - as long as they can have plausible deniability.

If M division wanted a manual, they would have spent the money upgrading the manual to withstand the torque. When they didn't do this, that is the tell that they want it gone. Now if they can use it with no additional headaches (like in the detuned G87 or base G80) then great. But their heart is clearly not in it.

All that being said (and I'm a manual guy) - isn't this far too big for a manual? I feel like at some point, it's just getting a manual to say you have a manual. The F80 is already pushing it.
I believe it is about compromise: offer a manual at the least possible cost. And it is way cheaper to tune the ECU for lower the power/torque output than it is to develop a beefier transmission.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0