CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
DIN weight rules have indeed changed throughout the years. We can see that in the G8X published weights for example.
If you think a non GTS F8X was ever produced that with a full tank weighed 3300lb that's fine, but I'll continue to assume it's a mistake.

DIN weights are not useless. I look at the 6MT to 8AT G82 and see they differ by 55lb, so until I see otherwise I will assume that is the delta. They also serve to tell us what the F80 to the F82 weight delta is, the 6MT to DCT, etc etc.

People have been telling me my cars weights are outliers for quite a few years.
It started with the E46, where everyone swears it's impossible it could weigh 3500lb.
Then I got an E9X, weighed it back to back with the E46 and it showed 3603lb. And it's not the minimum spec either, ZCP wheels are heavy and it also has heated seats and the upgraded sound system.
Now I've weighed my F80 CS and I'm also being told it's an outlier... perhaps the outlier talk is simply because I weigh my cars without giving them any advantages like removing manuals, parts that are meant to go in the car, without removing a few gallons from the gas tank. etc.
A forum member owns corner scales and regularly weighs people's cars. If you look at his weights, in the 'notes' section every single person except my cars have little excuses added, for example:
-F80 CS M3... with TEAL16 forged wheels and CCBs, a little under half a tank
-F82 6MT with no gas
-E46M3 with ARC8 wheels and rear seats removed, almost full tank
the list goes on forever

I click on the link provided and it shows a F80 ZCP with carbon-ceramic brakes. Besides that, I don't see anywhere it was weighed with a full tank
I never said I believed any F82 on the road would weigh 3,300lb, not even a GTS BTW. Quite the contrary actually, when the F8X was released I was quite vocal about that on the forum. But it is not a "mistake", it is what the DIN standard allowed back then.

We're not that far off for our previous E46 and E9X. My 6MT E46 weighed ~3,550lb and my well optioned DCT E92 ~3,690lb, both all stock and "practically" fully fuelled. I was quite amazed frankly when I found my DCT M4cs weighed in the same ballpark as my 6MT E46. My car is not far off the M4cs weighed by three different reliable German publications, so I have to assume it is in the right ball park.

And I never said DIN weights are useless, I just said they are not an absolute. Actual cars on the road can be either lighter or heavier than DIN weights by a non-negligible margin.

As per C&D testing procedures, they always weigh with a full tank. It is one of the few North American publications that are rather thorough with their measurements:

Quote:
From start to finish, the prep process is very thorough. All the information is recorded on a template called a track sheet. When the test is completed, the track sheet's data is stored in our database where it will live on for eternity as reference material. First, the vehicle is carefully topped off with fuel and weighed using our Intercomp wireless scales. The corresponding weight of each corner is then recorded on the track sheet. This is where the total weight, as well as front and rear weight distribution, will be calculated and recorded.
And BTW, CCB are worth ~8kg on the F8X

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 01-14-2021 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 0