04-22-2021, 05:43 AM   #101
DecemberStorm
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanb06 View Post
So would leasing be unchanged from a tax perspective? Seems like it only applies to cash or financing in this framework.
im thinking (obv biased here ) that leases wouldn't be impacted since those don't tax the whole value of the vehicle to begin with... but intuitively, it really should or else what's the point of even introducing this. In that case leases would be horrible as you are stuck with a tax bill on a portion of vehicle you are not even paying for!

but who knows given how vague the actual budget language is, prob intentionally so given it needs to be passed (i.e. gotta ask NDP what they need to vote for it), and I've found only one source saying this is on top of HST with some friends thinking it'd be a marginal tax system. The automaker lobby is already complaining, wait til likes of Magna and Linamar also joins in as they are major parts suppliers and have Canadian jobs on payrolls.

and... is this a tax on the MSRP sticker or the negotiated selling price. To prevent dealer abuse I'd think it's the former, in which case can see options like carbon buckets on the G8X become rather rare in Canada as ppl try to keep spec under the threshold. Overall, beyond hurting autos industry, I don't see what doing this actually achieves ...

Last edited by DecemberStorm; 04-22-2021 at 05:48 AM..
Appreciate 2
ryanb0655.00
Swappy531.50