01-31-2022, 12:17 PM   #42
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassad View Post
You guys just kind of glossed over this paragraph in the article:

Has anyone driven both the M3 and CT4 BW yet? I cant find either one locally. I think the M3 comp is an entirely different animal that outclasses the CT4 (at least in stock form), but the M3 6MT doesnt seem to get as much love in comparison. These two cars and maybe the golf R are on my shortlist.
Probably because it's information-free hyperbole. I don't really entirely blame the writer, most reviews generally fail to successfully translate "feel" into something you can actually put some stock into. Take two identical cars around a curve, but put a little more force into the throttle with one than the other and you can end up with a change in "feel". Get one driver who is better at recognizing good braking feel than the next driver and you can end up with different opinions on the brakes. Neither opinion changes the stopping distance, though.

Matt Farah once reviewed an M2C and came away unimpressed with the car entirely. There were two issues with his video. First, the orange M2C press car had been documented to have issues and it wasn't clear if it had been fixed for Matt. Second, he drove it IMMEDIATELY after driving a Lotus and complained about overall feel compared to the Lotus.

But, on this particular article...a "mid-grade M440i"? That's just exaggeration and not good journalism. Leaving out that the M3/440i are not anywhere near as competent (chassis-wise) as the M3/M4's are, there is no mid-grade of the M440i. It would have been a functional statement if he'd said "a M440i, which is just the mid-grade version of the 4-Series". Or something.

Anyway, hyperbole to mask personal preference isn't a review. It's an opinion. Accuracy left the building at that point. The CT4-V BW may be a better drivers' car, or it may not. Not enough people have done good enough on-the-same-day reviews. As driver's cars, I'd bet that any of us would be happy with either one and that the real difference between them is use-case and if you need to put anyone in the back seat regularly. And which nose you like better.
Appreciate 0