10-09-2020, 03:28 PM   #18
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteGuy View Post
I think xlover explained it well and I myself fall into his #2 category of an enthusiast shopping the market.

Can’t disagree with karussell, China is where the money is now, but the new grill design has nothing to do with China, it’s about the i4 and Using all of the 4ers to create that niche. I can’t explain the M3 though.

Montaver sums up the reason that a true M car is not a daily driver for a lot of people who appreciate and lust after them. Again, I fall into that logic as well and this I bought a M440iX in lieu of the M4 which would have been so cool.

Wyndi3351 is correct, there are more than a few young enthusiasts with good paying jobs, or parents who do, willing to buy and mod expensive cars. I’m even older than him and have always driven nice new cars and a few classics, but I’ve worked hard to do that.

And ThatKrazyPolak is also correct that a significant number of 20-30 somethings consider cars as a necessary evil more so than they have real enthusiasm for cars fast sexy cars.

So, with all that said... BMW appears to be marketing across all of those segments, hoping to capture market share among each of them. Tough nuts to crack in the US though where trucks and SUVs rule the roads.
You could argue the M340/440i (I prefer the face of the 340 ) is the range sweet spot, I suspect you will be very happy with it. Even my 330i is a fun steer despite the fact is on base suspension, there's definitely a talented chassis lurking under there. The M340i is a big step up from the F series 340i which has the steering and suspension from a Toyota Camry. There was a much bigger gap between a F30 340i and F8x M3/4, outside of the engine the F30 was pretty unimpressive in my opinion.

With the M340i you still have the fantastic B58 engine, with a properly dialled in chassis, and this time an actual limited slip differential as standard and substantial brakes. The exclusivity of the M3/4 seems to be bucket seats, a manual transmission, and the ability to cover it in M performance carbon fiber crap that does nothing in reality. Spec sheets don't say it all though, and I'm sure driven back to back the differences will be more apparent. I'm certain dynamically the G80 will be exceptional for its size and weight, but those are two very big caveats that for me limit it's application as the best choice for performance driving scenarios. Luckily they have a chance to rectify both of those limitations with the G87 M2, which I suspect will be the last standout car BMW make with an ICE.
Appreciate 1
VetteGuy845.50