Schn3ll
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 Carrera T

Garage List
2009 135  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by modat View Post
You may want to look at the Taycan if you want everything. Fun, sporty and luxurious.

Not sure of your budget though.
Totally missed this. I wanted to love the Taycan, I really did. I have had multiple days of Taycan 4S loaner time and it just doesn't do it for me. I don't know if it's the relatively cramped/dark interior or the un-Porsche like handling (I am coming from a 991.2 Carrera T) but three things crossed it off the list for me.

Availability - I have a great relationship with my Porsche dealership (we still have a newer Panamera eHybrid) and I would still need to wait almost a year for one. I am not patient.

Price - cost is not really a factor, I'd buy whatever I get in cash and not really think twice, but I can't justify spending so much more (my ideal Taycan is a GTS Sport Turismo at ~$150k) and still have inferior performance than a base Model S or the G80 M3 xdrive.

Usability - I've had numerous issues even in my short time with Taycan's. The infotainment has crapped out on me multiple times and the application of the touchscreens is not intuitive like Tesla's (too far down below sightlines and borderline dangerous HVAC controls). And the backseat is a little tight and it's not the most practical.

Wildcard is the depreciation factor. We live in a fantasy world now for used car prices but when the market finally falls down to earth, I suspect that the first generation Taycan's will take a beating as tech is ever evolving and that's the epitome of a "moment in time" tech wagon. I suspect it may age poorly, they don't update anywhere near the frequency of Tesla.

I have thought about it long and hard, but for $150k I cannot justify not buying a 911 from Porsche. A $100k Tesla with the power of a $190k Taycan is a more palatable choice - I have the money, I just like keeping it better than spending it.
Appreciate 1
YamaLink425.00