View Single Post
      04-27-2022, 10:42 AM   #14
stewie177
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Lotus Exige 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schn3ll View Post
Got a wild hair up my ass waiting for my G80 xdrive allocation, and considering the Model S - give me strength... I only have space for 1 car (sold the 911 and now just have the beater which is getting real old) so I need a do-it-all.

- Performance - On paper both perform very similarly - real world both in the 3.1 second range 0-60, Tesla slightly faster in 1/4 mile at 10.8 sec at 128ish. Nod goes to Tesla.

- Comfort goes to Tesla, air suspension

- Size/Usability - Tesla

- Maintenance/Reliability - Tesla

- Fun goes to the M3, more drama

- Tech maybe a slight edge to Tesla but no carplay

- Steering wheel goes to M3 (driving a Plaid this week to see what the yoke is all about)

- Looks go to the Tesla (IMO, sorry!)

- Uniqueness to the M3 (I would be going Individual color as well)

- Range isn't a factor, building a new townhouse with 2 dedicated 240v outlets in garage so charging is NBD.

- Cost goes to M3 - the Model S had recent price hikes and as configured I'm looking at $17k more for the Tesla

- Build quality is definitely BMW, but I hear the new Model S is getting much better

- Resale is a little unknown as both models are new and selling for over sticker in current market, but both tend to hold well % wise but I give the nod to an individual M3.

Results: BMW - 6, Tesla - 6

Tiebreaker: ICE cars going away means this may be my last chance at a pure ICE performance car (even 911 going hybrid...) - but I can get the Tesla sooner and I'm not a patient person.

Anyone else in the same predicament?
Reliability to Tesla? In the UK, they are one of the worst offenders for failure ranked 27th out of 28? Their build quality as well is poor, feels like cardboard - I am sure it suits some people, but it's not for me (my wife loves hers though)

Finally, I am not sure how robust they are - saw this - https://www.thedrive.com/news/31911/...odel-x-in-half locally my other half hasn't pranged hers.
Appreciate 1
BA///MA97.50