View Single Post
      04-26-2022, 12:12 PM   #6
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

So we all have G8X's and I have a Tesla Plaid... while I would not use a Vic score to rank like you did, I do have some thoughts. As I always have mentioned, Im 12 M's deep into my career and only 1 Tesla. I only got the Plaid because of the sheer novelty of speed. I took into account the issues with builds, excessive tech, etc and tossed it out the window because it was already expected.

In reality the Plaid interior is very good, no issues there. The tech, to me, is relevant to a degree but I dont use much of it. I do love a big screen though. The build has been fine; not Porsche like (had 9 of those) but it has exceeded my expectations.

The velocity is shocking and the car for, 4800 lbs, handles quite well. But lets face it, physics owns the world and you can not get around that weight with 1000 plus hp and tq. The brakes are not up to par but they are also being used on a car that is one of the fastest production cars in the world with a ton of heft. Again physics comes into play but I have an understanding of my personal limits, the car's limits, and the environment I am driving in.

I placed some comments below (in red) with some opinions and some just comments. Again this against my Plaid and ownership of both cars. The facts are i own both but the rest are just opinions for the most part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schn3ll View Post
Got a wild hair up my ass waiting for my G80 xdrive allocation, and considering the Model S - give me strength... I only have space for 1 car (sold the 911 and now just have the beater which is getting real old) so I need a do-it-all.

- Performance - On paper both perform very similarly - real world both in the 3.1 second range 0-60, Tesla slightly faster in 1/4 mile at 10.8 sec at 128ish. Nod goes to Tesla.

I didnt see a handling and chassis note here so I would say the nod, for me, goes to the G80. Even with the Plaid's straight speed, the ability to turn, carve, and just push the chassis makes the G80 the better overall performer but of course it will lose in the straight line tests. You also didnt mention exhaust I believe and thats just a game changer for me. I would never only own an EV- not even as a 2nd car... well maybe LOL. I need sound!!! I like the G80X for overall performance vs my Plaid.

- Comfort goes to Tesla, air suspension

Closer than one might think, the G80 dampers are amazing, they endure while the Tesla is floaty and fat. Over normal roads yes the Tesla is more comfortable. So I probably concur here.

- Size/Usability - Tesla

Yeah well this goes with the size of the cars.

- Maintenance/Reliability - Tesla

Hmmmm I dont know... Ive not had my Tesla long enough nor do I have prior experience but I do with M- to the 12th degree. M is so reliable and they have great service intervals which are free. But of course an EV should last longer but I might lump issues that others have had with their Tesla's along the lines of reliability. I cant really say what I think here ... yet.

- Fun goes to the M3, more drama

100% agree. There is just something about reving an ICE.

- Tech maybe a slight edge to Tesla but no carplay

I have an Android, but the tech is clearly better optically and from an update perspective with the Tesla. I wont even talk about all the cool OTA's I get weekly that change things inside and out. The sound system has 22 speakers and Nav is google based; Im good

- Steering wheel goes to M3 (driving a Plaid this week to see what the yoke is all about)

I changed the Yoke but agree in stock format the wheel is better on the G80 and clearly the steering feel, touch, and response itself is better with the G80.

- Looks go to the Tesla (IMO, sorry!)

Disagree but subjective ... The G80 is bold with its front and rear fascia and exhaust piping. I think its a close one here with the G80 being more distinctive.

- Uniqueness to the M3 (I would be going Individual color as well)

Agree. I have an AR car and love it.

- Range isn't a factor, building a new townhouse with 2 dedicated 240v outlets in garage so charging is NBD.

No issue for me here either.

- Cost goes to M3 - the Model S had recent price hikes and as configured I'm looking at $17k more for the Tesla

I paid 137k for my Plaid but that was pre price bump; Its worth it. But agree.

- Build quality is definitely BMW, but I hear the new Model S is getting much better

M is better, Germany is better LOL.

- Resale is a little unknown as both models are new and selling for over sticker in current market, but both tend to hold well % wise but I give the nod to an individual M3.

Easily the G80 wins this, I know from a multitude of wholesalers and Manheim return values. The Tesla is more mass produced and drops down faster except when the Plaid first came out. But markets change, supply adjusts, and things happen.

Results: BMW - 6, Tesla - 6

Tiebreaker: ICE cars going away means this may be my last chance at a pure ICE performance car (even 911 going hybrid...) - but I can get the Tesla sooner and I'm not a patient person.

Anyone else in the same predicament?
My thoughts if I can only have one? Id take the G80X over my Plaid as I enjoy speed and acceleration but love driving more so. Again this is my opine and some pics below:

2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 8
GGG333603.50
Schn3ll460.00
M2Crew220.50
Limegrntaln13477.50
ando2002.00
Llarry16051.00
bwoodahl235.00