03-13-2022, 10:55 AM   #77
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohw View Post
As others have mentioned, there are multiple vendor specific PS4S that I can think of that use the softer compound on the outsides of the tire for better performance. These tires are more in between the regular PS4S and the Cup 2 for performance. They would remove any advantage the Conti's have in this test if you happen to have a vehicle that run these.

This test is a better representation for vehicles that don't run any kind of vendor specific tire.
Absolutely correct. The BMW Star-spec PS4S outperformed the regular PS4S in the dry, by a large enough margin. Attributed to different construction with a grippier outer band compound.

And the regular PS4S outperformed the OEM Star-spec in the wet, by about the same margin. Seeming to indicate nothing comes for free, at least when comparing variations of the same tire.

Yet in this test the Contis outperform everything dry and wet, which can indicate either a scam, or a quantum leap in tire construction. Having seen this guy’s videos before, I personally am dismissing the scam scenario, to my eyes he is legit.

I’ve never run UHP Contis on my cars before, but maybe I’ll give them a try next round.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0