naywa01
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 DCT Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3exDeo View Post
It appears we may see chip shortages well into 2022, possibly into 2023. Also to consider, continuing chip shortage is expected to keep chip prices climbing. Climbing chip prices combined with low supply of new cars relative to demand for foreseeable future... we may not see "reasonable" G80 prices for some time. Used car prices leveled out in August, but some analysts are expecting another hike in the September numbers.

Reuters reporting that White House announced a chip and auto manufacturer conference. Attendees are Intel, Microsoft, Apple, Samsung, GM, Ford, BMW, Stellantis, Micron Tech Inc.

Bloomberg reporting chip demand remains high and chip delivery time continues to grow (graph below).

WSJ reporting BMW CEO said chip shortage critical for another year. VW CEO thinks chip shortage will last years.

(FYI, I'm in 047 awaiting an allocation)

Absolutely, don't see it going away soon and it continues to affect production at the company I work for.

There are so many factors from the thing that shall not be named (unprecedented times etc etc) which continues to have a knock effect across the entire supply chain from raw materials supply through all the transportation steps (look at the premium on shipping containers and all the stories about heavy goods drivers).

Outside of that fab fires and other recent natural disasters have all impacted things.

As the supply chain then recovers, the big boys will hover up any capacity they can lay their hands on (Apple, Samsung, Sony for PS5s etc).

They can have all the meetings they want at the White House, even if they just focus on opening up new chip fabs (ignoring all the other issues) this is not the work of a moment.

I can well imagine it being 2023/24 before things return to 'normal' suppply & demand status, where these things can be delivered in bulk on a 'JIT' basis (at sensible prices) to any manufacturer that wants them.
Appreciate 2
evilalien450.50
Ibiza3612.50