Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by z335is View Post
Right, that's the exact point I'm trying to make though. Having a nice little daily is one thing but if you're dailying a 97 Ford Fiesta with an M5 in the garage, then you're doing it wrong IMO.
I am not sure about that..
One of my former beater is a 96 Civic coupe with wind up windows, a year of driving and 60k of mileage later (I was younger granted)
-Its dirt cheap on gas
-It helps that it actually drives better thanks to its light weight and no ABS
-It doesn't go wrong, and if it does it isn't burdened by electronics and complexities of a more modern 'nicer' daily
-It handles the highway plenty fine though I do wish i had cruise and power windows so I don't have to reach over to open/close the passenger side window
-I can park it anywhere without ever (and I do mean ever) worry about coming back to a scratch or a dent on it, or stolen
-I do not feel bad every time a truck of any kind throws up stones, salt spray at my beater
-I do not feel bad about the car rusting to nothing, because it cost me 1700 bucks and Ontario probably spent the equivalent of that on salting a yard of road way every time we get below zero celcius.

If it does not snow where you are and your government doesn't spray salt/gravel/deicer like it is free then perhaps a nicer daily would be nice, but here, with crap roads, crap drivers, crap weather it is really hard to justify spending a shit ton on a beater that will rust the moment it touches the snow.

Also, it weeds out certain unfavorable personality traits when I was single and dating.

I had leased a 15 Golf before, and while that is a decent daily, its quiet, its good on gas, it has modern tech like heated seats, it is complicated, it has the personality of a pencil, its 5 speed is burdensome and lacks feel.

I will return to the track, one day.

Last edited by kyriian; 08-04-2022 at 07:05 AM..
Appreciate 0