View Single Post
      01-31-2022, 07:09 PM   #12
Cadaver
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Garage List
I’m going to say RWD, especially if you’re going to track the car. I will say bmw has done a great job with making their AWD more track-worthy. AWD will have the safety advantage on wet tracks. It may also be easier to drive as well. But easier isn’t always better. I think AWD in the new cars with all of their electronics are great and definitely good on track. Relying on these electronics may allow you to have great times, but they will most certainly teach you how not to drive properly and create habits that can be dangerous on track. The rear stepping out “drama” as mention earlier is something that should be recognized and embraced. More importantly, learned. Learn what’s happening and develop technique on how to use it. Not because stepping the rear out looks cool but because oversteer is typically more likely to get you into trouble. Wether power oversteer or lift oversteer, more accidents happen from this than the opposite, understeer. Which is why most all passenger cars are off the showroom floor designed to have inherent understeer. Use the electronics, but learn vehicle dynamics. I think all things being equal, the RWD will be more fun on track than AWD. And, you can learn more. This will translate into safety. I race competively and getting an M3 daily that’s RWD. I’d rather give up snow performance for track performance and fun.
Appreciate 3