Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Model S P100D

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by codestar View Post
I really, REALLY, want the g82 6mt in Isle of man green, but it also makes me really sad that the stick isn't available with the m-awd.

The 6mt + xdrive + luxury coupe combo is 100% what sold me on getting my current car over pretty much anything else (P cars being out of my price range)

I'm torn now because I love the colour, new tech, twin turbos, carbon buckets etc. But I feel like the g82 is going to be plagued with traction woes off a dig that my car doesn't have (albeit mine has less hp). Ironically though, my car has more torque than the g82 base, and also has 2 extra drive wheels to help put it down

I know there are those that live and die rwd+stick but I truly love AWD+stick and am sad that I have to decide between one or the other when my older and slower current gen has both
Allow me to provide you some reassurance my friend.

If you go from your current 435 to a G82 in 6MT, you will never ever regret it. The traction issues on a RWD car are not insignificant, but with warm tires and a light foot, it's a thrilling car to drive.

I came from 5 Audi's before I got my first BMW F80 in 2016. It was the best decision I ever made. RWD is so much more fun. I was 34 years old when I made the switch and had never done a proper donut.

Let me also address the winter concern. I take my car skiing in Maine 7+ times each winter. With dedicated winter tires, which are, as I understand, a legal requirement in Canada, RWD is more than capable of reaching my condo at the top of a 1/2 mile hill.
Thanks for the reply. The winter part is definitely one worry (if you've ever seen the show Highway to Hell that highway is what separates me from my family most Christmases) but for those trips I'll be using an SUV from here on out anyways. The part that worries me most is wet weather; Van is rainy and miserable for a considerable portion of the year. The video posted today with Chris Harris puts it nicely where he says every m3 owner's worst nightmare is pulling up next to an rs4 in pouring rain and watching it zoom off in the distance while you're squirrelly seeing the traction light flashing and not moving.

I really don't care about the HP/tq hit in the manual as much as I wish I could have the AWD strictly for the extra traction in all weather scenarios, not just when it's sunny out. Which is why I'm sad and torn on letting go of my mt xdrive f32 for the mt rwd g80. The g80 will blow my car out of the water in pretty much every other aspect except for the AWD, which in my eyes is the most important one
Appreciate 0