View Single Post
      10-29-2021, 12:51 AM   #1
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 BGM

Review of xxii tuning carbon mirror caps

TL;DR: 8.5/10 - minor fitment issues that aren't enough to bother me or make me pay 6x the price for OEM.

As I posted a little while back, I rolled the dice on a bunch of xxii exterior carbon bits (mirror caps, rear diffuser, front lip, rear spoiler), basically looking to replace the carbon exterior pack that I wasn't able to get on the car due to it being an HEA. The stuff has started rolling in, so wanted to review some of the pieces that I haven't seen posted or reviewed.

The mirror caps arrived earlier this week from China, and were well packaged. These ones are carbon over ABS, not full carbon. Supposedly they are working on a set that is full carbon, will be interesting to see if these degrade over time, but for $359 landed if I have to replace after a couple of years I'm not going to lose sleep.

Install was straightforward, maybe 30mins for both of them, and they very closely matched OEM in terms of placement of clips etc., very few issues there. The only couple of slight issues I came across, where you could tell they were a knock-off vs OEM were:
- one of the holes for screwing in the turn signal on each side was stripped. They're held in by another screw so should be fine, and I could have sized up on screws if need be. If it was OEM I would have been pissed, with these I sort of shrugged my shoulders and moved on
- on the right cap, there was a bit of plastic that needed to be cut off that hadn't been (likely left over from molding). Was able to cut it off with a Stanley knife with no problem
- on both sides the bottom has a bigger gap than it should have (uploaded a couple of pictures where it might be visible). That's really the only fitment issue, and I don't believe it was due to install. In both cases it's the bottom of the cap and not really noticeable unless you are bending down. From the top/sides it looks perfect, and I doubt anyone would know it's not OEM unless they really studied it

In summary - if you are a hardcore stickler around fitment being precise then OEM is probably for you, but on the scale of price vs quality I am very happy with these. Certainly would have no interest in paying over $2k for OEM, and love how they look on the car
Attached Images

Last edited by Pantagathus; 10-29-2021 at 12:58 AM..
Appreciate 0