09-19-2020, 10:08 PM   #12
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
As much as I hate the recent transition of M cars appealing to soccer moms and stoplight racers who can't drive a RWD without traction control or bother to learn how to properly drive, credit should be given where it deserves.

Prolonged track driving will tell you that:
1. M engines are much more reliable and less costly to run than Porsche F6 engines. Up to 991 engines all Flat-6 engines other than GT variants suffered from oil starvation destroying cylinder walls because of their design.
Flat engines just cannot handle high lateral G without dry sump system. M engines from E36 M3 3.2 Euro all have dual oil pickup which supplies oil in high lateral G conditions at all times.

2. Weight is a big problem, but weight distribution matters as well. The famous 50&50 weight distribution of M cars does not just mean front and rear, it also means left to right. This enables drivers to chase higher cornering speed (i.e. higher entry speed) than 40-60~ 30-70 weight distribution of 911s. Where 911s shine is actually straight line speed from the corner exit. 911 Non GT variants understeer going at same entry speed as F8x M3/4s so driving 911 is not a pleasant experience for track rats looking for a neutral balance.

3. Nurburgring times don't mean shit as track conditions differ and car setup is drastically different to get the maximum result out of a particular track. Just because 911s are more nurburgring focused does not mean it fares well on other tracks. M cars are consistently fast on all tracks.
Front engine rear wheel drive cars will never handle as well as a mid engined car. Cayman handles better than any M car

992 does not have the oil pickup engine issues and they weigh significantly less than M cars

Porsche's consistently run better than bmw's on most all tracks and I run better in Porsche's myself and it isn't close

Rings time don't mean shit but every manufacturer puts a ton of weight on it or they wouldn't bother testing it

My original post said Any Porsche GT car would be a superior track car to the new M3/M4 which either has an auto trans or manual and guaranteed to weigh 3800lbs min.

No mid engine car has 50/50 weight distribution. So the cayman, Ferrari's McClaren etc all mid engine don't have 50/50 weight distribution. I guess M's have a superior set to those cars too bc they don't have 50/50 weight distribution?

Lastly on weight distribution have you seen the weight distribution of M cars that are awd not 50/50 and not close to 50/50

The 911 def has the engine in the wrong place but it has incredible grip, steering and handling. Nothing in BMW's lineup feels close. RWS helps a ton as well

Back to my original rebuttal a Porsche would be a better track car than the new M3/M4

Not knocking the M3/M4 had an F82 M4 comp loved it and looking forward to new m3/M4 but I'm not optimistic about how it will drive. Owned an F90 M5 hated it, drove an M8 comp for a day didn't like it either. New M's are heavy fast and great GT cars but their steering is poor, suspension feels unsorted, and the driving thrill is gone

Hope the new M3/M4 are way more sport and way less big heavy GT that's got 10000 HP
JoePcone145.00