CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
I agree they tend to, BMW being an exception.

GTS was tested without factory support.

Recall Andy Pilgrim had to request Cup 2's for his M4 CS track test. BMW was content to send a podium Le Mans finisher out on Pilot Super Sports for a timed lap on a 23 turn 3+ mile track.

And in the case of the G8X, no reason why they shouldn't have arrived to Sport Auto on Cup 2 since they're a factory option and it was a hot lap test. Perplexing, really. The PS4S times are remarkable, but you'd put your best foot forward and objectively the Cup 2's are better suited to the process and slightly faster over one lap.

I don't think BMW M put nearly as much support (or forethought) into these tests as Porsche and Corvette, for example. In some ways maybe that's more commendable. They're not stacking the deck in their favor, they're true dual purpose cars and should be tested as such. But it won't get them the best results as compared to factory supported tests.

As for how it'll fare over a 5-10 lap stint -- G8X looks to be very near GTS pace. In combination with weight, that means too fast for both Michelin options if you're really getting after it on consecutive laps. G8X track drivers will have to pursue more durable aftermarket options, same as usual.

M's have always been a handful at 10/10ths with a lot of emphasis on the driver, and it's good to see that continued in my opinion.
As a tidbit, IIRC, the M4cs tested by Andy Pilgrim was his own newly acquired personal car, and he fitted it with the PSC2.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
FormulaMMM3662.50