10-26-2021, 03:23 PM   #27
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3EE View Post
May I ask what are your reservations about driver assist technologies at the moment? I have adaptive cruise on my commuter and although I wanted the semiautonomous driving on my M3 I didn’t get it because I got impatient and chose a spec off a lot rather than wait. I don’t use it much but I do a lot of driving.
People love to load vehicles with the latest and greatest tech but below are my reasons for not doing so:
- Drove manuals all my life and i was forced to switch to automatics last decade due to knee issues. That was a significant transition which i had never foreseen. Being a mechanical / hands on person, I prefer having control while driving.
- I will not be using this vehicle for cross country family road trips. Its nice to have these driver assists but i hardly use them. ACC is the only feature which i rarely use.
- I have been a part of Tier 1 and OEM development teams for automotive safety and driver assist systems. Being a part of those development cycles, i see the type of issues which pop up during various stages of development. Even though they try to recreate real world scenarios, one will not be able to validate it for every possible real world condition. OEMs advertise not to rely on these features 100% while using them as well and thats for a reason.
- Minor fender bender fixing cost can quickly add up with radars and cameras in bumpers. Not having these addons, definitely make things simpler.

Its interesting to work on emerging driver assist features and electric vehicles but i am not ready to adapt them on my personal vehicles.
Appreciate 1
MannyS357.00