View Single Post
      10-28-2020, 01:40 PM   #587
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

I'm at the dealer now, and they have 2 new 440i's...one with the blacked out grill and one with the standard chrome ring around it.

And you know what?

It's actually not that bad, especially the blacked out one. It's not quite as polarizing as the pictures, and I can definitely see over the next 2 years how it will just blend into the design...especially once the aftermarket finds ways to revise it a bit. And I am one that really disliked it in pix, hated the front end. Not any more. Still not beautiful, but I can definitely see how it will not be a deal breaker for many.

I remember when Audi's first introduced their audacious grille back in like 2004 or 2005 on the A8 I think, I thought that would be the end of Audi. People would eventually stop buying them. Not only did that NOT happen, but after a few years, the Audi grille just became part of the design. Hec, I'd buy an Audi today with that big grille, as the grille has long stopped from being offensive to me.

And if Lexus' monstrosity can survive and people are still buying their cars and SUVs, then BMW's grille will soon be mainstreamed as well.

I'll give BMW credit for fearlessness, because like Audi back in 2004, BMW knew it would be 100% controversial.

But in person, yes, still polarizing, but so was Audi's and Lexus/Toyota's, and time moved on. Within 18 months, most will be moving past the grille. And for those that don't, the aftermarket will find ways to tweak it and revise it so we can still enjoy BMWs.

Interesting times...

Last edited by KevinGS; 10-28-2020 at 01:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25118.50