View Single Post
      09-21-2020, 05:23 AM   #159
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ_NL View Post
No they don't. It is the quickest way to get pulled over as every policy officer is going to see you don't have one. My front plate fell off once in a car wash, and I couldn't mount it again with some clips from BMW. So I had the front plate inside the car. I got pulled over within 24 hours (didn't get a ticket, as they believed my story).

You basically cannot drive a car if it does not have a license plate. I do not understand why in the USA it is ok to drive without plates (I've had rental cars without any plates - front or back - that came with a piece of paper behind the window because it was "new"). That doesn't happen in Europe. The license plate is the only way to identify a car (others can't read a piece of paper behind a window) when you get into an accident, or otherwise behave in a way that warrents people knowing who you are.
Even if you by a car in a different country and just want to drive it back to your own country (lets say I want to buy a BMW in Germany, to take it back to Netherlands and take care of all the paperwork and registration in Netherlands, I still need a 1 day license plate in Germany to drive it in Germany.
It depends on the situation. I live in the New York City area, which is very strict about tint laws, front license plates, etc.

I have illegal tints and have not had a front license plate in 5 years. I have been pulled over 2x in 5 years for that reason alone. Cops generally won't pull you over just for that (although like I said, it has happened 2x).

One thing cops will NOT generally tolerate is tinted windshields, which is more common that you think (every Infinity G37 owner with a fire extinguisher looking exhaust), but I have had cops comment on my CS and tell me they would not put a front plate on her either.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25055.00