10-25-2021, 09:01 PM   #10
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAKE! View Post
When I initially saw the new 4 series, I thought it was absolutely disgusting, but now I think it looks amazing. When you see one out on the road/in real life, there is presence to these cars and so much to appreciate. It’s definitely a departure from the previous models that were “easier” to like from the get-go, but once my mind embraced the new look, the previous designs started to look a little bland and predictable.
Lol there is no "presence" to the 4-series. it has soft bland lines on the side and looks front heavy like a beaver. I think the M3/4 isn't as offensive but still don't find it to be good design.

There's a simply explanation for all this: BMW has lost the thunder it used to command in the industry for several decades. BMW used to be the coolest and most aspirational car, it was a big deal if you saw somebody driving one. However over the past 10-15 yrs, they have watered down how their cars drive considerably to attain more mass market appeal, have lost their once-alluring identity to Tesla, and are selling an endless number of their 7 SUVs and cheapo base model 3-series to people who are badge enthusiasts.

What remains is a company with a lost identity grappling for attention. That desire for attention is reflected in many of these latest designs. In some ways I do feel BMW's pain. "The ultimate driving machine" is no longer valued by consumers in such a global and tech-dominated world. Their expertise in engines is being outlawed. It's tough to adjust to the immense social and political changes in society the past 15 years.

Last edited by Germanauto; 10-25-2021 at 09:14 PM..
Appreciate 4
FCX52385.00
stein_325i25083.00