Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKSAPPE92 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
I understand how awd and fwd works and how much grip a front steer tire can handle between steering and driving. As I said already I know an awd car can accelerate faster after exiting a corner then a rwd car.
You specifically said:

Quote:
My experience if you're trying to accelerate while in a corner and you put more strain/power to your front turning tires that are also driving now you can get understeer and the car will stops turning and just start sliding/plowing forward sooner than tires that just steer but you may not have ever experienced that
I merely pointed out that what you noticed was from front biased AWD systems. A rear biased AWD system acts very differently and does not understeer in the same way that a FWD or front biased AWD system does.

Quote:
Someone on here said safety for family is why they bought an xdrive and all I said was braking and cornering have nothing to do with awd safety and neither does hydroplaning.
You can hydroplane or lose grip in any combination of wheels out of 4:
1/4
2/4
3/4 or
4/4 wheels can lose grip.

In an AWD vehicle, you can potentially lose grip in 3 wheels and maintain mobility. On a RWD you can only manage to lose grip in 2 before you lose mobility. So the AWD vehicle is potentially safer than a RWD vehicle in those particular cases.

Quote:
Also a Porsche gt2 rs has a better track time than a 911 turbo s but the 911 turbo s has a better 0-60

Same with a gt3 rs and a 911 turbo the gt3 Beats the 911 on the track but not in a straight line
I'm not sure what you are implying here. Is it that that a AWD Turbo is slower on the track than a GT3RS and GT2 because its AWD? That's simply not the case. The Turbo is close to 500 lbs heavier than both those other cars for one. That's not the only difference.
I e never said that awd cars aren't fun or fast in a straight line as I said before it doesn't necessarily make them safer

What does accelerating and drive tires have to do with hydroplaning?
I don't think "fun" was a factor in this discussion.

If you are sliding, accelerating can change your trajectory to avoid a collision. It can also help you get unstuck.
Again awd doesn't have any safety factors
You don't make any sudden braking or acceleration when you hydroplane so awd is of no factor.

Snow and ice is the same thing you don't make any sudden changes if loser of traction braking or acceleration so again awd has nothing to do with safety.

Yes it will help you accelerate faster in less than optimal conditions but you still can't stop or change directions any better than a rwd car

I don't understand why I have to keep repeating that

I'm not speaking about anything like stuck in your driveway or at a stop sign in heavy snow because that would go back to what I said yes they can accelerate but the two things people try to associate with awd is safety like braking and maneuverability (not takin off fast from a stop) in rain or snow and ice and it just doesn't apply

Now besides the great fun accelerating factor
Front Axles always prematurely wear out due to turning and flexing the xdrive system is clutch based so they need to be serviced every 30k and tires left to right have to be exact so if you just by two tires and some how get a nail or cut and only have 2-3/32nds of wear you need another tire on a rwd car that's not the case because it will cause wear on the clutch system that is used to transfer power
Appreciate 0