View Single Post
      03-19-2024, 11:36 AM   #44
/ / / M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike02z View Post
I have the theory…When I purchased my prior G82 I drove it home over 160 miles and did not hear any rattles. Even after a few hundred miles I didn’t hear any rattles. Then I disabled ASD and that appears to be when I started hearing all the rattles. (I did not make the possible connection here)

I took the M4C in for the 1200 mile service. One of the items, aside from the rattles, was that my iDrive would freeze once and a while. They updated it to 11.2023. They also found the center console rattled. They fixed that. Driving home the rattles were gone. One of the first things I did was to disable ASD again. Shortly after I noticed the rattles returned. I never made any possible connection between disabling ASD and the rattles and just decided I would have to live with it….

Fast forward 6 months I sold my ‘24 M4C DG. I wanted a manual so I picked up a ‘24 M4 IOMG. We drove it home over 60 miles and both my wife and I were relieved that there were no rattles! One of the first things I did was to disable ASD and guess what? Now my new ‘24 rattles as bad as my prior car. It was then that I started thinking, “could ASD be masking all the rattles in the interior?” I’m planning to use a BimmerCode backup to restore ASD and see if my theory is correct this weekend.

I know, sounds crazy but technically creating white-noise with ASD is kind of what it does with pumping in the fake engine sound. May just be a sheer coincidence.��‍♂️
I don't see how what you're describing would be possible. ASD makes fake engine and exhaust sounds. Unless you are driving aggressively, those sounds are barely audible. Certainly not loud enough to mask rattles.
Appreciate 0