01-19-2022, 10:25 AM   #30
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX_M3 View Post
Question for this thread since y'all seem to be the ones actively tracking your G8x: given what you now know about your G8x (power, handling, rear brakes off a Schwinn bike, windows that roll themselves up on threshold braking, etc.), would you pick up another G8x if tracking was a priority use for you?

There seems to be so many great attributes but a few annoying ones, as well. I'm coming out of my F80 CS that has been rock solid on track, easy to work on, decent on consumables (but not great)….but I've had 2 F80s over the past 6 years & it might be time to move on.
TL;DR - If I am being honest with you...no. I would not be in the G80 platform as a track car. I am now in the market for a spec race car to scratch the itch. I will continue to track my G82, but I will need to moderate usage below where I'd like to be.

If I had a trackable F80 where that was my primary use case (tracking 1-2 times per month), I would not sell it for a G82. I actually had an F80 before my G82, but it was a 440 AWD, so converting it to a track car would have required way too much surgery, so I got into a G82.

The platform is new, so the aftermarket hasn't caught up yet which is causing some short term price pressure on consumables.

Rotors are 700/set per axle (predict mine last 1000 track miles)
Brakes are 400-1000 for a 2 axle set depending on your brand. (200 track miles)
Tires are (at least in OEM sizes) are $2500 a set. (500 track miles)

The car needs front some suspension work to get a reasonable amount of track capability. ( I did camber plates, others do lower control arms).

The Brake by wire and pre-crash systems do interfere with time on track and you cannot disable them. You can avoid them, but not if you're trying to go fast, and the car doesnt react well when you are out of tolerance (power reduction, tripping pre-crash deployment)

Brake system requires resetting the computer for certain things (moving your pistons a lot, flushing fluid (not a huge deal with a code clearer i.e. bimmerlink), but the computer is in the way IMO.

lack of options and long lead times mean I need to keep 3-4 sets of brake pads and 2 sets of rotors and order tires halfway through to keep moving. At these costs, thats a lot of capital sitting in parts...

I love the car, love it as a daily, and its fun on track, but its been a chore to track it and continue to be expensive to keep it on track for ~150 laps a month during the season without anything breaking.

Even a CSL or CS will have the same cons, but perhaps a bit lighter.

Im looking for a Spec Boxster (cheap + liquid market), or a race built Cayman (GT3 part compatibility), as a next step in track driving for TTs and time trials.
ATX_M3185.50
Ilyam5896.00