View Single Post
      09-25-2020, 10:42 AM   #11
Drew10
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf72 View Post
Not to be negative, but the journalists are getting their cars from BMW. They are part of the marketing effort. It's no surprise they all say they like it. Some of them might, but it's business after all. BMW has to control the messaging.
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for despite what you described.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanislavK82 View Post
To the point about the CSL Homage, maybe they are going to work towards that design. I think the homage grille and lights look great, and if they end up tweaking it closer to that with updates that would be awesome.
Another factor maybe their electric cars (i4 concept), they had painted closed off grilles but similar outlines. A step change for these cars was probably needed to work towards electric. If (big if) the next m3/m4 is electric they might just fill in the opening". Of course just thoughts in my head.

Edit: just saw VetteGuy's comment about the i4 sorry about the repeat.
Maybe in the next gen electrification plus a smaller ICE equals a smaller grill . The grill won't get smaller in this gen.
With full electrification, grills are not necessary, so it comes back to wondering why they went with this design choice?

Come to think of it, the X3/4M grill also has massive openings. The engine must have massive cooling needs. Can the cooling needs of two engines (F8x vs G8x) be compared?