View Single Post
      10-17-2021, 12:50 AM   #24
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

The F8x is a great car, but the G8x represents the incorporation of too many learnings and fixes and improvements by BMW M to consider going back.

-Handling is much improved. The front end grip combined with the rear end stability yields a far more confidence-inspiring drive than the old car. And there’s materially more performance. The car outperforms the size and weight specs. This is as close to a current-gen 911 S as an M3 has ever gotten.

-Steering is sharper, with practically no dead zone.

-Power delivery is improved. It’s managed noticeably better at the wheels, with wheelspin happening less of the time when unintended, and more controllable when intended. The powerband is a return to old-school M, low-end softness paired with an exciting high-revving payoff. S58 is reliable with no known common issues.

-Interior quality is improved. It’s got better use of leather, carbon fiber, aluminum, and high-quality plastics splashed on a more modern design. The leather doesn’t wear as fast as the leather in F82 (standard seats; not sure about CF buckets). M1/M2 button placement is much better and encourages liberal use (I sometimes switch modes for individual corners).

-Updated tech. Full-screen CarPlay, full 360 surround view, ventilated/cooled seat option, improved HUD graphics, power trunk, proximity Comfort Access, remote start (Comp-only, though a few 6MT folks got it enabled), laser high beams, independent exhaust valve control, independent rev-matching toggle (6MT), new iDrive, (somewhat) useful voice assistant, digital cluster with lots of display options.

-Updated looks. As beautiful as the F8x is, it can’t be ignored that we’ve been staring at it since its debut as a 99% complete concept at Pebble Beach in August 2013. The G8x is by default the newer and fresher design. I think it looks more special than an F82 stock vs. stock; things like the larger exhaust pipes and aggressive diffuser trim, air curtains through the front bumper that are visible through the wheel well from behind, the overall size and width, and the grilles make it clear where the car sits on the overall totem pole. It’s arguably the most aggressive stock M3/M4 design yet. I’ve received lots of compliments from several folks covering a wide demographic. I’m fortunate to be one of those who ended up loving the design when I finally saw it in person.

It took me until the first time I took the car around a corner at speed to really warm up to it, as the comfort and refinement at lower speeds are initially deceiving. The handling is a revelation coming out of an F8x. Then I came out of break-in, took it to redline, and that sealed the deal. It manages to excel at both daily driving and actual track work. No M3 has ever struck this balance this well right out of the box.

I think this is the M3 that BMW M has always tried to build.
Appreciate 6