lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
Uhm, I don't think that's how it works. First off, not all G81 would be sold in the US, but probably only a few. 200 would be probably way too high, but let's say 10% for the sake of argument.

Then, BMW sells the cars for $170,000,000 but it does not make $170,000,000 in profits from it, far from it. And it sells the 200 US cars for 17MM, but you want them to pay 20MM (i.e. even more than they get back in sales, let alone profits) up front to get the car federalized in the US? How should that work?
Believe I read BMW makes about $8,000 per car. A $20MM fee to federalize them would cause a loss before you even count in any modifications required to meet the US standards.

Caddy offered a very hot Corvette Powered "V" series 6MT station wagon a few years back. Ran the Ring at 8:12. Sold OK but no big winner.
BMW was around $5k per vehicle on a GLOBAL avg but that has declined.

US is one of the least profitable markets for the group. Japan is more profitable than the US with only a fraction of the unit volume.

New CTS wagon sales were Keebler'd a little. By little I mean by a a gigantic amount.

Early on I said the E63S Estate's days were numbered in the US and it's now bye bye.
Appreciate 1
JTO245276.00