Thread: M4 vs M8
View Single Post
      10-06-2021, 02:34 PM   #21
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Not an M8, but the dealership gave us an M850i as a loaner for a week while they were working on my wife's X7. It drove well enough, but the interior was pretty tight for the size of the car (just looking at the front seats, back of the 8 series coupe is a joke) to the point that my wife wanted to take my M3 everywhere. I didn't find the interior to be any more luxurious than my M3 and definitely a tighter squeeze to get in and out of especially in parking lots due to the size of the doors. In general it made me feel a lot older driving around in it.

My feel after a week was thanks, but no thanks. First, every 8 series looks the same with no real body differentiation from the M to the standard car. I love the wide fenders on the M3/4. Second it feels like a German Camaro to me. It is a huge car with very little interior space and limited sight lines, very fast in a straight line but doesn't encourage the driver to throw it into a corner with abandon. FYI I previously owned an F90 M5 which I believe is the same platform. Fantastic car, but doesn't have the same feel as the significantly lighter G80.

If I was looking for a car to drive to the office daily then the M8GC would be fantastic. Looking at balancing daily driveability with enjoyment of some canyon runs I am going G8x every day of the week. If your motivators are different (everyone's are) the M8 is a very nice platform, but once I step over the $100K mark I am buying a base 992. More than enough performance for the street and significantly better driving dynamics 8 days a week.
Appreciate 0