View Single Post
      10-03-2021, 10:17 AM   #9
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw noob View Post
Check out posts by Vic55 as well. He has had many discussions comparing his m8 to his g80 (and now the g80x). His opinions seem to echo the luxury/gt feel of the m8 being less exciting to drive vs the m3.

My guess is the m8 drives closer to a m5. Brutally fast straight ahead, but a lot of mass, and just not engaging for the driver. But, more room and long haul comfort than m3.
There is another thread that I commented on a while back. Take it with a grain of salt or as an actually owner of both cars (thats empirical) while feel is subjective of course and was pre Xdrive ownership. I stand by the comments although now I have a better launching car but it still wont be as fast as the M8 off the line in the realworld. Sorry it wont as I replicate launches all the time and the G80X still has the weird tq curve only hitting at 3k rpms (this is why the RWD launches so well). But its a few tenths or so difference on the street- which can be reaction time, conditions, tires, etc

snareman

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ighlight=vic55

I honestly still would rather drive my G80 than my F93 but you are looking at a coupe which has different dynamics than the GC. I chose the GC over the coupe because of its unique lines, look overall, and the menacing approach in BSM. Oh I also bought that GC with 1500 miles in Dec of 2020 for 103k with an msrp of 154k. That was the time of the floor of luxury BMW values--- today Ill walk away with a 130k or more on this same car with 4800 miles. I dont know if I would pay 130k for my M8 today with what the amazing G80 S58 brings to the table and its improved luxury inside.

My opine owning both. Its worth saying that Im not as biased as one that may only have one or is really only wanting one and looking for answers to push that bias over the top (not saying this is you Snareman) but Ive witnessed this over and over here on the boards where someone will come to ask thoughts and then get thoughts they didnt want to read.

Bottom line, if you like change, and want a faster GT car, the M8 coupe is solid. This of course, with money being not being an object. I was on hunt for the M8 Coupe but only mildly back in Oct of last year because even with the flagship monies, rebates, and discount, the car was still running around 13X and I just felt at the time I would take a bath on a flip. Then my wholesaler calls me and said he found a guy in a 1 pay lease who didnt want the car and said he would buy it for 100k off him and I could get it for 103k (he needs to make something). 1 day later I was an owner.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black

Last edited by Vic55; 10-03-2021 at 10:25 AM..
Appreciate 0