View Single Post
      07-13-2021, 03:19 PM   #18
Cinco
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM G80 M3Cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilalien View Post
Barely snow, and definitely not ice. I see you're in Calgary bmbob, so you know better, but just to make sure nobody misunderstands:

All-seasons are not meant for all seasons. It is bad and dangerous marketing. Regions with real winter relegate an all-season tire to 3 seasons at best. There are a few proper all-weather tires, but the point remains: you make compromises.

The only reason I'd buy an all-weather (like a Nokian WRG) is because the PNW does not have a real winter. Still, my solution for years is running a dedicated set of summer tires and a dedicated set of winters, different wheels for easy swaps.

I don't understand why anyone would do anything else on a G80/82 if they have to contend with temperatures below 7C with snow. I also don't understand why anyone would drive anything with over 300HP AWD or not without having the right tires for the car and the seasons.
Totally agree that the ideal setup is dedicated summers and winters, and I had done that for all my previous cars. Just letting the OP know that I live in the NYC area, which is not the snowiest place on earth, and all seasons can do the job.

In NYC, having storage for a set of wheels is tough, but luckily I do have a closet in my apartment that is large enough for them, but bringing them down an elevator in a doorman building to the garage is not for the faint of heart.

Ideally I would not live in NYC, and would have a driveway where I could wash my car by hand with a two bucket system, but unfortunately I gotta have people I don't know put their ugly paws on my car and clean it. So I'm used to non-ideal situations.

So for my sanity's sake, I tried the all seasons and one set of rims and tires with my Audi RS3 and the DWS's are a pretty good tire. Is it a Michelin PS Cup 2? hell, no. But is it a decent compromise, yes.
Appreciate 2
evilalien450.50
Llarry15947.50